Information resources on advocacy and complaints

Although most people have no problems when using health and social care services, sometimes things can go wrong and people need to find out more on advocacy and complaints.

The complexity of the health and social care system can make it difficult to know how to go about this. Here you can find out more information on advocacy and complaints.

Please click here to view the information that has been produced by the Citizen Advice Bureau on behalf of Healthwatch England to help you understand more on complaints.

Contact Healthwatch East Sussex if you would like to talk through where you can turn. Alternatively refer to some of the information below.

As it may appear complex you are encouraged to contact Healthwatch East Sussex on 0333 101 4007 to talk through your options  (Mon – Friday 10.00 – 2.00pm).

Citizens Advice

Care and treatment in the National Health Service is usually very good, but sometimes things can go wrong. These pages tell you how to go about dealing with a problem with the NHS.

You can also find out how to go about dealing with a problem with adult social care.

Care Quality Commission

CQC are the independent regulator of health and adult social care in England.

They make sure health and social care services provide people with safe, effective, compassionate, high-quality care and encourage care services to improve.

Mind Brighton & Hove

Provide a range of advice and information, advocacy and support services to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem to live a full life and play a full part in society.

NHS Complaints Advocacy

The Advocacy People provide NHS complaints advocacy

National Youth Advocacy Service

National Youth Advocacy Service for Looked After Children and children with complex needs


POhWER provide advocates for users of Adult Social Care, mental health service users and people with learning disabilities.

Vandu Language Services

For Black Minority Ethnic groups there is up to six hours bilingual advocacy with support for health appointments from Vandu Language Services

Together Co

Provide advocacy for adults with learning disabilities, mental health problems, autism, and older people who are affected by cancer.

Adult Social Care Complaints Team

To make a complaint about a care service or care home part funded by East Sussex County Council – first tell the provider about your concerns.

If you are not able to do this, or if you feel worried about contacting the service directly, you can complain to the local council instead.

You may also wish to raise your complaint directly with Adult Social Care complaints team at East Sussex County Council

Phone: 01273 481242

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals

For some people in East Sussex they will receive their hospital services in Brighton or Haywards Heath. For complaints about Royal Sussex County Hospital or the Princess Royal hospital:

Post: Matthew Kershaw, Chief Executive Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, Trust Headquarters, Eastern Road, Brighton BN2 5BE
Phone: 01273 664511
Email: .

East Sussex Hospitals Foundation Trust

All hospitals within East Sussex, nurses, therapists and other NHS community care are provided by East Sussex Hospitals Trust.

Post: The Chief Executive, East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, St Anne’s House, 729 The Ridge, St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN37 7PT


If you are making a complaint about a GP, ask them for their complaints procedure or contact NHS England.

Post: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT
Tel: 0300 311 22 33 (Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm, excluding Bank Holidays)
Email: (Please state ‘For the attention of the complaints manager’ in the subject line.

Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust

For people who live in the areas of East Sussex that border Kent care may be provided at Pembury Hospital this is provided by Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust.

Post: Complaints Office, Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust, Maidstone Hospital, Hermitage Lane, Maidstone ME16 9QQ.
Phone: 01622 226408

NHS Dentists

If you are making a complaint about an NHS dentist, ask them for their complaints procedure or contact NHS England.

Post: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT
Tel: 0300 311 22 33 (Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm, excluding Bank Holidays)
Email: (Please state ‘For the attention of the complaints manager’ in the subject line.

Patient Advice Liaison Service, Eastbourne District General Hospital

Eastbourne District General Hospital, Kings Drive, Eastbourne, East Sussex BN21 2UD

Tel: 01323 435886

Patient Advice Liaison Service, Conquest Hospital

Conquest Hospital, The Ridge, St. Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex TN37 7RD

Tel: 01424 758090

Patient Advice Liaison Service, Royal Sussex or Princess Royal Hospitals

Royal Sussex or Princess Royal Hospitals

Tel: 01444 441881 extension 5909 (for Haywards Heath) or 01273 696955 extension 4029 or 4588 (for Brighton).

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

The Ombudsman may be able to help if you are unhappy with the response you receive from a complaint you have made

Their role is to investigate complaints that individuals have been treated unfairly or have received poor service from government departments and other public organisations and the NHS in England. They wish to hear from people after they have already raised their concerns at a local level

Phone: 0345 015 4033 ( 8:30am – 5:30pm Monday – Friday)
Post: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London. SW1P 4QP

South East Coast Ambulance service.

If you have concerns you can contact their Patient Advice and Liaison Service or complaints team

Tel: 01273 484832

Sussex Partnership NHS Trust

Provides mental health, learning disabilities and substance misuse services in various locations and specialist units and run by individual Managers. For information or to raise a complaint contact:

Service Experience Team, Sussex Partnership, Swandean, Arundel Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3EP

Tel: 01903 843026

The Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman looks at complaints about councils and some other authorities and organisations, including education admissions appeal panels and adult social care providers (such as care homes and home care providers).

If you have a problem with a council service, you should first complain to the council. However if you are still not satisfied, call their helpline

Phone: 0300 061 0614 (open from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.)
Post: The Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry. CV4 0EH

Sign up to our mailing listKeep up-to-date with Healthwatch East Sussex and receive regular information on our activities and how you can have your say on local health and social care services

For detail on how we use your data please view our privacy policy here.