Latest Reports > Hospital
Hospital Discharge Wellbeing Checks in East Sussex Pilot – Phase One: Final Report
A new report from Healthwatch East Sussex reveals that four out of five of patients discharged from local hospitals last winter reported a positive experience, but there were some aspects of discharge that could be developed and improved.
1,441 wellbeing checks were undertaken by Healthwatch volunteers and staff with patients discharged from hospital by telephone between August and November 2020.
We found that:
- 85% of discharged patients made favourable comments about their hospital stay and praised the professionalism, responsiveness and caring attitude of staff.
- Those with a support need who required assistance were signposted and referred to GPs, Community Hubs and other organisations.
- Communication with patients was the most common issue raised.
- Feedback from discharged patients highlighted the positive value attributed to follow-up checks, irrespective of support needs.
- Healthwatch will work with commissioners to understand and develop the hospital discharge process moving forwards.
Our report identifies 11 recommendations for East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust who run the hospitals that patients were discharged from, NHS Commissioners who contract local GPs and Healthwatch. The focus of these is embedding the learning with a view to improving the experience for patients before, during and after discharge.
Understanding patient and family/friend carer experience of rapid COVID-19 hospital discharge
Over the past year, the COVID-19 pandemic has meant patients are being discharged from hospital more rapidly. The Sussex NHS Commissioners’ Public Involvement team and Healthwatch in Sussex (East, West and Brighton & Hove) wanted to understand the patients (and family carers) experience of being discharged from hospital, and the impact of this on the patient’s future care at home.
Download Files:Hospital Discharge Engagement Project Report-July 2021
Healthwatch East Sussex Discharge Study – Were you discharged with care?
This document summarises the key findings, priority areas andactions from Healthwatch East Sussex study of Hospital Discharge
Review of Stroke Services Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
Healthwatch East Sussex’s report on its support work of Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust review of stroke services